Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fabric techniques swap

I am in a Lenna Andrews( http://creativeswaps.blogspot.com/  ) swap called Fabric Techniques.  It is my first time to participate with this first group.  Most are mixed media artists that to me implies using lots of Victorian people and layers of stamping etc.   I'm not too into old and images of Victorians but I do love playing with fabric techniques so my first creation was made with tissue paper fabric,  painted and destructed Tyvek and other materials.  the inspiration came when looking down from my deck at the parched earth.  I was not too pleased with  this piece, so I made another based on my monthly art day with Deanie.  

This is the one I submitted.  The background is painted and torn paper towels fused to muslin that were then stitched down in a grid. To this 3 motifs were chemically bonded  ( isn't that a fabulous euphemism for glued).  The motifs were cut from a painted, stamped and stencilled piece of muslin that was backed with batting and commercial fabric then quilted.  White paint was applied to the top with a roller.  This highlights the peaks of the fabric without annihilating the original design
Thick dye was applied with a roller to the back( really just because the thick dye was there and I did not really like the fabric design).  Sequins where adhered to the front and it was cut up into pieces that were satin stitched around edges.    Then chemically bond to the paper towel background.  More sequins were fixed and fabric beads (made with drinking straws) attached to the outer edge.  The tassels are made from painted Tyvek blasted with a heat gun.  I did use colored wire  to hold the Tyvek around the skewers when it was introduced to the heat gun.  I sent this one in as it was so much fun to make and it looks so much better than my photo.  

Here is the back before label applied  i hated this fabric until I stamped it. Both the front and back of the next two images had their background color changed in paint Shop ProIX.  At last I have decided to spend an hour a day on this program  and to upgrade to X2. 





I cannot decide if the image looks better with the orange background, my studio wall or the grey.  Considering my new glasses lens are problematic it is hard to decide.  it definitely is on the back side.  The paper towel technique is from a Sue Bleisweiss class.  I made so much n her class that I may never use it all us and also every time I start on a project I make more.  The rest of the motifs were used to make a tissue box cover. 



2 comments:

  1. I like this piece and definitely like it against the orange background. It makes the orange in the piece pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both backgrounds showcase different colors -- have it become a rotating exhibit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.