Wabi Sabi RR Sketch Book Project

The theme chosen by Bea for her book is Wabi-Sabi and she gave no clues to how she interpreted it.  Wabi Sabi is not a term many of us our familiar with so off I  go, Googling.  Is it a Japanese restaurant?  Globally, it appears to be a  popular name for chic restaurants though one in Australia was my favorite especially these posters from their bathroom.   
Google has all kinds of entries beyond the restaurants for using or abusing this name. How did we manage without Google?  I also found a store, in Taos NM, sportting the name and selling things Japanese.  This is how I look after hours of tramping around Taos when the temperature is in the high nineties.  


The popular esoteric description of the term "wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection and understanding nature, of accepting the natural cycle of growth, decay, and death. It's simple, slow, and uncluttered-and it reveres authenticity above all. This is the description favored by contemporary tea ceremony adherents and Buddhists.  It has been totally abused or as someone noted turned into sloppy art. 


 In my search I found the writings of Tim Wong, a photographer and Santa Fe gallery owner. Wabi Sabi - Learning to See the Invisible Tim Wong, Ph.D. & Akiko Hirano, Ph.D. http://www.touchingstone.com/Wabi_Sabi.html   He describes a profoundly inspiring and expressive aesthetic, one I could bond with and accept from cultures were the art of writing, painting were venerated.  I wanted to make this my pages for Bea's RR.  


All this deep philosophical, searching  for the meaning of life is the antithisis of me Monica.  Whimsy and the celebration of life is more my "modus operandi"  and I have to really try to be serious.


 Since Wong described wabi sabi in terms of Chinese and Japanese language & culture I used Chinese brocade silk to cover the page, leaving the edges raw  then I inserted the black smaller pages.  (The bits sticking up are from other entries.  It is much harder to add  when the pages are already sewn together into a signature.  I thought of several different approaches but they would have added bulk and distorted the previous entries. I settled for a raw, simple look, no padding, no backing, quite a stretch for me.)


I printed the photo and the poem on silk and glued them in.  



The final entry.  The last page is covered with Japanese hand painted silk, from a kimono.   If you go to the Tim Wong page be sure to visit the pages displaying  Wong Nong Sumi-e Show.  the show ran June through July.  Wong's story and his art is awesome.



Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.

Popular posts from this blog

401 WOYWW Another hot day

WOYWW 415

WOYWW 422