Friday, November 5, 2010

Hip Hip hurrah

After 9 months of increasing pain I finally had hip replacement surgery October 13.  I blamed the pain on a ligament and the Arimidex, my cancer drug.  Finally with my GP leaving his practice I went to the orthopedic surgeon.  Hip replacement.  "NO NO not me, I'm a fitness freak this only happens to overweight people!!!!"  I then tried cortisone injections so that I could go on my vacation: it was a pain filled trip.  Returning from vacation I immediately set up the surgery.  


All comfy and recovering at Syd Peterson.
My oncologist Rebecca Barrington stopped the Arimidex after 4 years and new information, a week before surgery.  Wow!  I am me again.  Surgery went fine but the pain killing drug spun me into the world of hallucinations.  Morphine ones were cute green, sparkly butterflies as well as smiling golden worms.  The Hydrocodone were the sixties psychedelic scene and Tramadol was scary psychedelic backgrounds with leaping cats and dark shadows.  So I dropped the pain killers and switched to Tylenol.   The PT came, a delightful young positive, man called Russell.  As a result i was able to walk with a cane at the end of the second week and improvement continues.  Peterson Home care sent out aides to bathe me and nurses to check my progress.  They were all very good and really helpful.


For a small town Kerrville has a lovely hospital with fabulous nurses, aides and doctors.  Dr Robert Mitchell, my surgeon has great passion for his work and is honest and cautious. A perfectionist where you need one. He too inspire confidence.  After all, his work on my carpal tunnel went great and that hand functions perfectly.   It turns out that during surgery  he found a fracture in the femur, that was not on the x-rays so I am now wired up around the new joint.   
Home and receiving loving care from Chris.


My progress continues and hopefully by thanksgiving I will be able to walk up the viewing stand at the state park in Mission and see the elusive green jay.

3 comments:

  1. Looks lovely on your deck. So glad those glowing worms and scary cats are gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great view from where you live, nice place to recover! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now exactly what you have been going through. I fell and shattered my hip - not overweight, young, healthy and active, in July and had to have a total replacement. It was a long hard road, sold my house in the midst of everything but am doing well, I still use my cane but hopefully in the next few weeks that will end, hope you are doing better and life returns to normal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.