Saturday, August 20, 2011

Quinn Mcdonald class

I purchased the Quinn MacDonald book RAW ART Journaling and signed up for her class on A.R.T.(a yahoo group)  it is turning out to be great fun.  Learning to use the smugmug photo feature was the hardest part but everyone was helpful 


Our first lesson was to create a gremlin that represents all those features that inhibit creating and making.  This was sort of a challenge as my gremlin was always my mother's criticism of everything ventured.  Once she died I was liberated.  Since reading and looking at the gremlins created by the group, a few others have emerged that i had never even considered.
One person mentioned procrastination as passive aggressiveness  .  What an interesting gremlin that will be.

In another exercise we wrote down who we are.   Well i scanned a flat doll i made to represent me some time ago, clothed her and attached her to a label.  The background is the part of the voluminous notes included in prescription drugs.  It is fine paper and is perfect for stamping or coloring. Added a few passing thoughts 



Next is to make a talisman.  As i always considered a belief in magic etc. a way of not being in charge it was exciting to have  Quinn (http://quinncreative.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/feeding-your-inner-critic/ )come up with an alternative view of a talisman as a reminder to make your own luck.  So off i go to finish up the assignments for this week.


PS  the book RAW ART Journaling is all about writing in an art journal and it is packed with ideas and exercises that are fun.  It is the first book purchased in a very long time where the author actually wrote the whole book.  My last few purchases were marred by being compilations of articles by  writers mostly of fleeting internet fame.  This book has body and the soul of a real writer.

6 comments:

  1. You are making me wish I had this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like a good 'un. It always helps when someone you know has read and used a book like this - I've got some before that looked good on Amazon but were quite disappointing in reality. I'll put this one on my wish list!

    x
    ps please please please send some of your long hot summer to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the kind comments. Not to push the book (well, not TOO much), but it can be ordered for a big discount AND free shipping (in the U.S.) from my website, QuinnCreative.com It's a link to my publisher, who kindly offered the free shipping till the end of 2011. I loved writing the book, and am having a LOT of fun doing the weekly lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your work, Monica. I'm in the group too, but I forgot to bring the book while I'm away so I'll have to catch up when I get home. But maybe I can start on my own little gremlin, now that I get the gist of it from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links. I recently bought a book titled 'Taming Your Gremlin', but one of my gremlins is my AADD so I haven't got very far with reading it. I did manage to name one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gremlin looks really scary, but cool too. You did a great job on him/it! I hope it shuts up now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.