Monday, March 12, 2012

here I am

My last post was written the day before my visit to the ER at 8.40 am on a wet and dreary Tuesday after a night of the worst headache ever experienced.  Since headaches are not my norm I was somewhat apprehensive that life was catching up and the bouncing off the bathroom vanity on the bridge of my nose, then side of head and finally back of head on 2/10 was catching up with me.  The stiff neck was making everything worse.  The ER was brimming with activity, mostly people with a stomach virus and no insurance.  After hours of testing I was admitted to hospital while they ruled out viral meningitis.  




Mary Helen visiting me.  I am the one in the bed!


24 hours later the diagnosis was post traumatic concussion.  I was homeward bound and rest was ordered.  Rest is not something accomplished with relish as it feels stupid doing nothing and watching TV is likely to hasten the arrival of dementia. Reading was out as my glasses hurt the bridge of my nose, though their imprint was fading.  Everything heals although not as fast as you expect. I was told to lay off exercising and let my brain settle down, the headache was probably the brain shifting back to its pre-bump condition.   My interpretation of the doctor's diagnosis.  Have to say our little local hospital, Syd Petersen Memorial is wonderful.  The night nurse Tommie was fun efficient and so pleasant.  Even the charge  nurse was friendly.  The day nurse was a real RN and just lovely and so knowledgeable and positive,; Julie managed to tell me all about the pills prescribed and allay my fear that i was not going to be addicted as they contained very little poppy juice. Dracula actually visited at 4am.  honest they needed another blood sample. This is a hospital that as much as you want to get out and go home you feel like a pampered guest. Getting in and out of the hospital takes hours.  In a paperless world one expects everything to speed up.  it's not.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Monica, what HAVE you been up to?! Sounds like you've had the best possible care and I hope your brain is settling back into it's pre-bump position ;o)

    x
    ps shoot your photographer - whose idea was it to put the drinks beaker in front of your face?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Monica, I am so sorry to hear you've not been well. Oh it must have been absolutely HORRIBLE with such a bad headache.
    Thankyou SO MUCH for taking the trouble to comment on my blog.
    Love Judy XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Monica, I am so sorry to hear you've not been well. Oh it must have been absolutely HORRIBLE with such a bad headache.
    Thankyou SO MUCH for taking the trouble to comment on my blog.
    Love Judy XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say this was a wonderful and positive post about a horrible catastrophe that resulted in a post traumatic concussion. Now let's hope you are feeling up to snuff soon.

    And that IS the type of photographer I would have HIRED. When I don't feel well, I sure don't want my face plastered all over the internet (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you are hiding behind that little straw. Was that planned? Lol
    Glad you are doing better. No more nose dives. hear?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.