Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WOYWW #158 HEARTBREAK



This is a sad week as we had to say good bye to Spunky.  The vet kept giving me more pills and finally I had enough.   We went to a new vet to try and find out what was really happening with him as he just would not eat and was not drinking water. The new vet, a woman, Dr Ryan Roberts was wonderful and reviewed the test results and added some more tests., each time ruling out what seemed horrible to come up with even worse news.  Nothing was going to restore him to his former life.  His days would be filled with endless vet visits tubes and other horrors so we made the decision.  So instead of my desk i thought i would recount the story of how our sweet, gourmet, urban cool cat  found us.

About 13 to 14 years ago when we were living in Sugar Land TX, Chris rushed up to my sewing room  and said he had heard meows coming from the engine of his truck  after a 300 mile drive.  We rushed to the garage and listened.  Sure enough tiny meows came from deep inside the truck.  Chris tore out side panels and the meow became louder.   Finally, a glimpse of a little ball of fur.  Reaching in, as I have small hand and grabbing, I was met by a sharp bite. Reeling back i brought out the fur ball but let go.  He ran off into the wood pile.  Off we went to ER for a tetanus shot.

Over the next six week each morning and  night , i crept out with a bowl of food and uttered "meow meow" and watched as this little kitten come out and eyed the bowl of food.  he would only eat when i left.  Each evening we sat out and were rewarded with the joys of a little kitty chasing leaves.  Then one Saturday morning with the patio doors open he just walked in.  He admired himself in the wall mirror then rushed behind it to see who was there. he spent the weekend in the house.  On Monday he was scooped up and headed to the vet who said he was about 7 months old, though small as he probably had not had much food on the ranch.  From then on he was ours.  he went out morning and night and slowly became a gourmet specializing in shrimp and venison.   Quickly he discovered he could sit on poppas knee every night.  Eventually we found him a friend, Tripper but only after Chris brought home Twinkle from the ranch,  a half starved kitty who survived out in the dry hot Texas sun and was rescued by ranch hands and Chris.  twinkle was full of flees and a a delightful playful kitty who allowed Spunky to swat her up the stairs and rushed back for more.  Regrettably she deteriorated due to some horrendous disease only found in wild country cats.  the vet was so relieved it was a country kitten as she said if it was a cat from the city it would indicate some epidemic.  And so Spunky became our beloved pet, fearful of people and a bon vivant.   together with his lively naught friend he lived a happy life.  He knew what he liked, sleeping and eating, indoor living with the occasional foray onto the deck and evenings with dad.

 We miss him so much.

33 comments:

  1. How incredibly sad. I would not have the courage to do what you managed to do. My heart reaches out to you and your husband, hoping that Spunky didn't suffer too much. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

    I am saddened as I write this. I know that exact heartbreak. Really.

    BTW, I didn't know Sugarland was a real town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so sorry to hear about Spunky. i love his color! he was a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Monica, I'm so sad about Spunky. I know how you will be missing him. I loved reading his 'story' - what a fabulous cat he was and perfect for you, so full of character! That he chose to stowaway in Chris' car was no accident, he was so meant to be with you, living a charmed life and discovering the culinary delights of shrimp and venison (!). You had to make the hardest decision to let him go.

    Take care, my friend. Sending you love and hugs,

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Monica, what a wonderful tale of luck and love..and heartbreak of course. COnsole yourselves that start to finish, you did absolutely what was best for him..and you had the best of him. How much richer your life has been for an unexpected pet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for the loss of your gorgeous cat. Pets bring us so much love and ask for so little in return. You gave Spunky a really good life, I love how you call him a gourmet:)

    Hugs

    Sheialgh 99

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Monica--I'm so sorry to hear about Spunky! What a difficult decision to have to make. What a lucky kitty to have hitchiked 300 miles in chris's truck and survived that and then found you. I know you and Chris and Tripper will miss him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww . . . sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.

    Sending hugs your way.
    Sarn #4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and you asked what I was going to do with my ATCs . . . well they are in a plastic holder designed for the purpose and will be used as inspiration xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of your loss and what wonderful story of the beginning of life he had with your family, may be RIP
    Bridget #13

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess you aren't much in the mood for crafting but a mini album of Spunky would be cool don't you think?
    Thanks for stopping by and admiring my tags in my Art Journal - am thinking of putting my 6 ATCs from my Summer of Colour in there two and have song lyrics all lined up too.....BJ#8

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Monica - so sad. But, sometimes we have to make hard decisions and yours was right. If you haven't seen it already, hop over to this poem:

    http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

    Hugs,

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry Monica. I loved hearing the story of how Spunky came to you. It sounds like he had a wonderful long life and was much better spending it with you and Chris. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sad to hear this but you did the hardest but kindest thing you could for spunky and thats to give him peace,take care and enjoy your memories,having recently having to put our cat otiz to sleep re health issues i totally sympathise,take care and thanks for visiting me
    have a fab crafty week
    kay #25

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Monica, so sorry to read your sad news, but what a beautiful story - I'm sure cats decide who they're going to live with and it sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. All the best, Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...so sorry to hear about your cat, it's heartbreakingly sad when we loose what we loVe...I lost my cat at 19&half & still miss him terribly that was 3years ago, Julia couldn't of put it any better...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Monica. I am so sad to hear about Spunky.. what a wonderful lovely story on how he took over you and your husbands lives and hearts... You know in your heart that Spunky would not want a life of vets & injections and you made the right decision to let him rest in peace.. thinking of you Monica.. Much Love May x x x#20

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww Monica I'm so sorry to hear about Spunky. If it helps at all, I think your decision was the best thing you could have done for him. There's nothing worse than having to see a beloved pet being poked and prodded to extend his life when he's absolutely miserable. I wish you and your OH all the best.

    Scrappydiva (#125)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry sweatheart,he had a charmed life and was loved everyday of it,cant ask for more thanthat. Big Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry to hear about your Furkid.They all mean so much. Keep your memories strong.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A dramatic entry into your life, sure enough and the happiest, charmed life afterwards - what an impact Spunky made in your household - the gap he has left will take a long time to heal...but it will, one day.
    I'm a cat lover and each time one of mine has gone, it hurts like crazy so I do sympathise..
    Thinking of you,
    LLJ #1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sad to hear of the passing of your beloved Spunky. What a start he had! My Jack came from the back of UHaul, Florida to Arizona. Such worldy kitties. I had to laugh that Spunky became a venison and shrimp gourmet. Jack would, if only we let him. I'm not even telling him such a thing exists.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sweet tribute to your little guy. He was lucky to have found you and Chris -- you gave him a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so, so sorry for your loss.
    But he sounds like he was a wonderful blessing to you!

    Mary Jo #119

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh so sorry to read this. He was lucky to have found you (and you him) for what time you had. Always a hard decision but in the end it's always made with love.

    And thanks for your kind comments re: Stampotique projects on my blog. I really must get back into the swing of things with those stamps and the challenges but time is short and there are just too many things I want to do!

    Happy WOYWW

    Mary Anne (5)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing - I love cats and their wise, feisty and individual personalties - you can tell them anything!!! He sounds a real friend and character...hoping lot of wonderful memories will help ease the pain and you did the best for him - even though it's hard letting go.

    Thanks for calling by… Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awww this is so sad - what a character Spunky was - he was gorgeous - Hazel WOYWW #82 x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sending you huge hugs - sounds like a fabulous cat to have had, and I've had a few. The blues are always the best...

    ReplyDelete
  28. God - I swear I left a comment yesterday. Maybe I didn't pass the identity test. So very sorry about Spunky. I lost all my pets over a 2 year period about 2 years ago. It probably doesn't help now, but the hole left by their absence soon starts to fill with the funny memories and sweet feelings that you had while they lived with you. Be kind to you and your man. Lori de Froup

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello,

    I am so sorry to read of your loss. You gave a lost kitty a wonderful home and family! Wishing you a good weekend!

    Hugs,

    Barbara Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Monica and Chris - I love hearing the story of Spunky ...and all your other kitty cats, past, present and future, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Monica and Chris - I love hearing the story of Spunky ...and all your other kitty cats, past, present and future, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness, I am in tears you were destined for each other, he chose you and your hubby. How lucky you all were to have each other, thank you and rest in peace Spunky you beautiful cat.

    Eliza #65
    www.queenartoypia.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Monica,
    I was popping by to say thank you so much for the fabulous pack you sent me along with an ATC, it is al so lovely.
    But I can not write without saying I know exactly how you are feeling as a short time ago we had to let our precious Papillon Bobby go age 14 but looking like a pup. I cry constantly, pets are such a big part of our lives Monica. So you have all my sympathy.
    Take care dear lady.
    Love Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.