Tuesday, December 18, 2012

WOYWW #185

Here we are another week looking into the lives of crafters around the globe.  this week with great difficulty my desk was cleaned off only to reemerge into it's normal state a few hours later.  This is because I  started an on line class with Mary Ann Moss of remains Of Day fame.  This one is called Ticket To Venice and over the next six weeks we will follow her journey to Venice and the making of a travel journal, and on her return how she completes the process.  Like a peep into her mind.  The class is made up of many very experienced bookmakers and travel journal makers.  My reason for taking this class is to expand my travel journal making experience.  it is a solitary pursuit and it is easy to get in a rut.


 I am not into vintage and do not want to make a fantasy trip to Venice.  My decision is to make a travel book for all 2013 and fill it along the way. 
 Her first step is to make a cover, the opposite to me.  In fact my books are made when i return so this is forcing me into a new modus operendi.  Back to the workspace, so out came everything.  In my stash were discovered these 2 Cabela's catalogs so the covers were torn off to be covered and form the basis of my book. Played all afternoon and no great idea so tomorrow will start early and fiddle around.  May just partially cover it and attach other stuff later.   happily found some interesting paper to make signatures so hoping in that area to speed up the process.  Our first trip will probably be in Feb.



  the finished journal will be much bigger than usual  as this is 8 x 10

Well on to Christmas and a new year celebrations.  Do you have all the wonderful foods in Britain or have Christmas cakes with marzipan and icing been replaced with sponge and butter creme.  I have bought some Robertson's mincemeat and will try to find more in San Antonio this week as I need it for our supper club after Christmas.  love a nice port and a mince pie.

I have said nothing about the tragedy in Connecticut   it is too painful to write about and images are infiltrating my dreams.  

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a good start on that travel journal. Haven't had a good mincemeat in years... but have plenty of Port in the cooler. Come by and we'll toast to an other great WOYWW week....LOL
    Krisha no #yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, in the UK Christmas cake is very rich, very fruity, with marzipan and royal icing. One slice and you don't have to eat for the rest of the day, yum!

    I'm sure your travel journal will be wonderful - and not a copy of Mary Ann's but very much YOURS. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

    Wishing you sweet dreams, my friend.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    TFS Happy WOYWW Mrs.C.xx #34

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting me already and have a great Christmas BJ#1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just popping by to say....
    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with everything that makes you happy.
    Hugs,
    A x #38

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for visiting and your kind comment, the course sounds ace but difficult.as for cake definitely not sponge and butter cream. rich fruit cake lots of marzipan and royal icing... the lady who makes ours starts in the summer goodness knows how many bottles of rum soaks into it (her secret ingredient). I look forward to seeing your progress its something I would like to try next year also.I hope you have a wonderful time over the festive period with family and friends... best wishes Andrea x #6

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah yes, the solitary persuit of the journal, what a great idea to learn on-line as a way to share with others. I must admit I have a travel pack I take away with me, even if I am out for the day...I get odd looks on trains and in pubs as I get my scissors, stamps and waterpens out!

    As Joanne said, yes in the UK its very rich and marzipan laden....a meal in itself!

    Thanks for visiting my desk
    kyla #50

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project your journal will be. I wish Christmas cake in the UK was sponge and butter cream I might eat it then, I dont like our rich,dark,fruity cake.
    Have a lovely chistmas
    Love Amanda @56 x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum I love Christmas cake (only the cake though, I'm not a lover of icing and can't stand marzipan.)Looking forward to seeing how your journal comes along. Happy Wednesday and Happy Christmas, too. :o)
    Sue x (MiniOwner@45)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend nearby who is also doing MaryAnn's project. She showed me the first digital postcard that was sent out today. It sounds like great fun. She has also completed her book, with the beautiful diamond binding. You will have a treasure when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monica, as I read your post, I felt so connected. Some of it I could have written myself. I love mince pie and port--with a brick of stilton on the side. And our Christmas stöllen, while not British, is filled with fruit, nuts and marzipan, and is iced.

    And like you, I am not on the vintage bandwagon. I just can't quite connect with the 17, 18, and early 1900s. Although I will use something vintage from time to time as an accent piece, but never as the theme or the main focus.

    Like you, I usually decorate my covers last, using them to symbolically represent (to me) what's on the inside of the book. The only difference is that I do usually make my books first, then fill them later. That will happen later on, as I fill the book I've made, which is neither vintage nor a faux trip to Venice, but is themed and titled Local Color, and concentrates on the unique surroundings, businesses, and people of my local community.

    But, as I was determined to begin my book with our starting date of December 15, I have been collecting a variety of photos and memorabilia as I document each day in a pocket-sized notebook, and these days will be added in sequence up-front, until I've caught up with the day my book is ready to be added to day-by-day. I love this new (to me) method of collecting notes etc.. It takes the pressure off having to fill the book like a diary at the close of each day, or to recall days, or skip days altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy WOYWW! your journal sounds like a great project. my brother makes lovely illustrated travel journals but i usually just write to remember what we did when we traveled and hardly have time to do anything else in my journals.

    may you and your loved ones have a joyful Christmas season
    and a blessed new year ahead!
    hugs,#10
    peggy aplSEEDS

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make me jealous with all your goodies for the journal spread out - and I'm like you - the cover comes last! I kinda like the design of your cover, it's going to be interesting to see which parts you collage over and what, if any, bits you leave showing. Omg - it sounds like I got that sentence from a Monty Python show!

    I miss the rich dark Christmas cake, and especially the really almost black Christmas pudding of England, and don't mention mincemeat pies...mmmm… drooling. I've grown to like American Pumpkin pie a lot though, especially Mrs Smiths, but I'm not so fond of some of the very sweet desserts here in the US that the rest of the family like.

    I'm enjoying looking at all the Christmas lovelies you've been making, and thanks for the WOYWW site - I'll have to look it over more when I have a bit more time. Went shopping for Christmas Dinner a little while ago - standing rib roast, crispy roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding, The credit card fraudulent department called to verify our purchase at Wegmans just after we got home, so you can guess how much this little Brit feast is costing!
    Chris, another expat Brit from MAM's class

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,wish we could chat over a glass of wine and chocolate.